Spokesman for Yemeni armed forces Brigadier General Yahya Saree announced late Sunday that the attack by the Yemeni army and Popular Committees targeted two military bases in the southern Saudi town of Jizan.
The attack, carried out after extensive intelligence gathering, injured a greater number of Saudi soldiers and destroyed at least five armored vehicles, Saree said.
The general noted that the Saudi military had yet to collect the dead bodies of its troops despite enjoying close air support.
In the capital Sana'a, thousands of Yemeni people gathered outside the United Nations office earlier in the day to demand an end to Saudi Arabia’s military aggression, which has killed a large number of civilians and destroyed the country’s infrastructure.
Riyadh, under the order of its de-facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, began indiscriminately pounding targets across Yemen on March 24, 2015.
The ambitious prince, who was the kingdom’s defense minister back then, infamously predicted that the campaign would only take a few months to fulfill its two main targets: Destroying the Houthi Ansarullah movement and reinstating fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi – a staunch ally.
Four years on, however, the Saudis and their allies in the war --- including the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain-- and their many thousands of foreign mercenaries have become bogged down.
Houthis and their allies, on the other hand, remain steadfast in their resolve to fight off the enemy with a powerful arsenal of missiles that have struck as far as the Saudi capital.
The situation inside Yemen, however, remains grim as millions of people remain in the throes of acute starvation and deadly diseases such as cholera and diphtheria.
A Saudi-led blockade and its constant destruction of Yemen's infrastructure has shrunk Yemen's economy by 50 percent since the onset of the conflict.
The war has also forced more than two-thirds of small- and medium-size businesses to lay off half of their employees and driven up the price of food by 112 percent.
According to a report by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, the Saudi war has claimed the lives of around 56,000 Yemenis.
A new report by Save the Children says the ongoing Saudi aggression has killed at least 2,500 Yemeni children since March 2015. That means the Saudi military is killing Yemeni children at a horrifying rate of over 30 children per month.